Take a few deep breaths.
Pick one of these phrases to tell yourself or create your own compassionate mantra:
- “I’m doing the best I can with the energy I have in this moment.”
- “I’m in uncharted territory.”
- “I’m not sure about the exact right next step, and that’s ok.”
- “It’s ok for me to try new ways of doing things.”
- “There’s no one right way.”
- “I’m learning new things all the time.”
- “I can always make a different choice next time.”
- “I can make a different choice whenever I’m ready.”
- “I can sit with uncertainty.”
- “I can only control so much.”
- “I can try something, then change my mind.”
- “They need me and taking care of me will help me take care of them.”
- “I’m finding my way.”
Repeat often. Different messages and different variations will work for different people.