This half-day class works as either an introduction/orientation or refresher to build awareness and understanding of older adults and the aging process. It is valuable for a wide audience. Due to population aging, each of us will experience our own aging while increasingly working and living with older adults. Using interactive activities, games, and videos we will examine a wide range of issues, including basics on the longevity trend, the impact of ageism, normal age-related changes compared to cognitive impairment, the state of the eldercare workforce, and ways to improve connections with the older adults in your personal and professional life. This course is appropriate for anyone with questions about aging, specifically for professionals in social services, behavioral health, home and health care, end-of-life care, senior living, recreation, lifelong learning, clergy, faith communities, and first responders.
Join us to
- Discuss the longevity trend and its implications
- Define ageism and explore its impact
- Distinguish between normal aging and cognitive impairment
- Describe the state of the eldercare workforce
- Demonstrate ways to improve connections with older adults in your life